Troubleshooting SentryII for Unix
We have made every effort to ensure an easy and straight forward Sentry installation. If you should experience problems or unexpected results during the installation or execution, please verify your system setup and configuration using the following checklist:
- Positively identify the serial port to which the UPS interface cable is connected. (Consult computer and/or operating system documentation if necessary.)
- Verify that no other hardware or software is using/accessing this serial port, including your mouse. Sentry requires a serial port dedicated to monitoring the UPS.
- Verify that you are using the UPS interface cable supplied with the Sentry software and that it is securely connected to the serial port.
- Verify that the other end of the supplied cable is securely attached to the UPS interface port. This end should not require any adapters.
- Common Problems and Solutions (below)
|When you start Sentry, communications cannot be established.
||Make sure the cable is plugged into the UPS and the Computer.
Make sure you have correctly identified the serial ports. You may have connected the cable to the wrong port. Ports may be mislabeled.
Make sure the serial port is enabled.
Make sure the port is operational. Perform another test on it, such as attaching a modem and attempting to dial out.
A conflict may occur with hardware devices or other software. Is the port already in use? Is the getty disabled?
If the UPS is charged and seems to be operating properly, and all other procedures have been followed.
|The modem did not page the administrator after a power failure or other event.
||Check the phone line to make sure it is attached to the modem and wall outlet.
Check the phone line to make sure that it is working and that there is a dial tone.
Make sure you have correctly identified the serial port. Ports may be mislabeled.
Make sure the port is operational, by performing another test on it, such as attaching a terminal and attempting to log in.
A conflict may occur when other hardware devices or software. Is the port already in use?
Test your pager dial string to verify it works.
Some terminals do not support the keystrokes listed on the Sentry screens. Use the following table to choose alternative keystrokes.
||Exit w/o saving
||Add box item, Execute, Default
||Modify / Activate box item
||Delete / Deactivate box item
||Save & Exit
||Up (top) box item, Activate all
||Down (bottom) box item, Deactivate all
||Prior page of data
||Next page of data